Every website visitor behaves slightly differently on your website. Some might go directly to your product or service section on their first visit, while others might be more hesitant or prefer to discuss their options with someone. In many cases, these visitors leave and never return — and that’s where ad retargeting enters the conversation.

Ad retargeting helps you reconnect with visitors who came, looked around, and left. Sure, it can be frustrating, but this is an opportunity to target this customer segment. Below, this SEM agency in Bloomington, Illinois is going to discuss some of the key things you should know about ad retargeting, explaining how it can be used effectively to transform your SEM strategy.

What is retargeting?

Retargeting is targeting ads at people who have already checked out your website or are in your database. Its purpose is to get your past visitors to convert into paying customers. Two good examples of retargeting messages are “You’re almost there! Finish checking out” or “Hurry and enjoy this special offer.”

Ad retargeting can improve your marketing strategy as most people don’t buy anything on their first website visit. Only 2% of first-time visitors complete the desired action. If you get your ad retargeting strategy right, you might convince the other 98% to give your business a shot.

Retargeting campaigns can be great for precise targeting, increasing brand awareness, cost savings, promoting new products or services, reducing cart abandonment, maximizing conversions, and improving ROI.

Is retargeting different from remarketing?

Though often used interchangeably, retargeting and remarketing are used for different purposes. Retargeting uses ads to bring back visitors who left without completing the purchase. Remarketing, while it sounds similar, focuses on connecting with your existing (inactive or past) customers in a more personalized way (usually through email) to encourage repeat purchases.

How to set up your retargeting campaign

Although it may seem tricky, thoughtful planning is a big part of what makes a retargeting campaign successful. When it comes to setting up your campaign, most SEM agencies in Bloomington, Illinois use one of two methods: pixel-based retargeting or list-based retargeting.

Pixel-based retargeting refers to a tiny pixel or a JavaScript tag on your website that tracks your visitors online. Once they leave your site, this pixel starts showing your ads to them. Pixel-based retargeting is instant and specific to user behavior, but it’s also time-consuming and complicated.

List-based retargeting is a highly personalized advertising strategy that uses email lists to target ads. Once you have the email addresses of all visitors, you can upload this list to ad platforms like Facebook and then show your ads directly to these people. List-based retargeting is more manual, and although it’s less common than pixel retargeting, it’s highly targeted.

Now comes your roadmap to creating a superb retargeting strategy. Here are some tips to get you started:

  • Identify your audience.
  • Pick the right platform — Google Ads, Adroll, Criteo, Facebook, etc.
  • Set your retargeting budget. Most SEM agencies in Bloomington, Illinois recommend starting low and scaling up as your ads perform.
  • Design appealing and relevant ads.
  • Test your ads and optimize them for the best results.
  • Stay on top of your campaign’s analytics and adjust for better performance.

Looking for an SEM Agency in Bloomington, Illinois?

Are you ready to set up an effective ad retargeting campaign that can turn your website visitors into customers? If so, and if you’re ready to partner with an SEM agency in Bloomington, Illinois that can make it happen, Digital Destination LLC is the top choice. Contact us today at (312) 933-6806 to schedule a free consultation.