Google Analytics 4 was released last year as an improved version of Google Analytics. According to Google, the new Google Analytics will provide website owners and online marketers with critical insights that will help them prepare for what comes next. While the platform is still used to analyze site traffic and activity tracking, Google Analytics 4 is not the same as the Universal Analytics that many online business owners in Michigan City are familiar with.
Although having a Google Analytics 4 property is not currently needed, it is wise to create and install a Google Analytics 4 property to start collecting data. To help you get more familiar, this SEM agency in Michigan City, Indiana is going to discuss everything you should know about this new property type.
What is different about it?
Google Analytics moved away from the traditional session-based model and toward an events-based strategy to tackle the ever-changing cookie restrictions, concerns over data privacy, and data collection capabilities. In short, Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4 have some significant differences, which include the following:
Instead of the Realtime, Audience, Acquisition, Behavior, and Conversions reporting categories seen in Universal Analytics, Google Analytics 4 includes the following options in the main navigation:
- Reports: This is where you can access data on traffic sources, user activity, overall revenue, customer retention, user demographics, and technical information on how users visit your site.
- Explore: Explorations is a set of advanced tools that go beyond traditional reports to help your SEM agency in Michigan City, Indiana gain valuable insights into your customers’ behavior.
- Advertising: Learn more about user journeys and which channels generate the most income. This report can help you better understand your ROI and optimize your budget.
- Configure: This option allows you to define events, conversions, and audiences. There is also a debug tool for real-time event monitoring.
2. Measurement ID
There are no Tracking IDs anymore — Google Analytics 4 properties now have a Measurement ID that begins with “G-” rather than “UA-.”
3. New Metrics
As Google Analytics 4 moved away from the session-based approach, it added new metrics not included in Universal Analytics. These new metrics include average engagement time, engaged session time, and engaged sessions per user.
4. Event Tracking Setup and Automation
Google Analytics 4 offers four types of event tracking: tracked events, enhanced measurement events, recommended events, and custom events. Depending on the event, your local SEM agency in Michigan City, Indiana can either set up event tracking directly in Google Analytics 4 or use Google Tag Manager.
How to Setup and Install Google Analytics 4?
Here are the steps to set up a Google Analytics 4 property from an existing Universal property:
- Access the Admin settings by signing into your Google Analytics account and clicking on the gear icon in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click on “Setup Assistant [GA4]” in the middle “Property” column.
- Click “Get Started” on the Google Analytics 4 Property Setup Assistant page.
When it comes to adding your Google Analytics 4 property to your website, Google Tag Manager is the simplest way.
- Go to Google Tag Manager and choose “New Tag.” Click “Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration” from the “Tag Type” menu.
- Insert your Measurement ID into the appropriate field.
- Create a page view trigger that is configured to activate on every page.
- Apply the edits, and you are done.
Looking for the Top-Rated SEM Agency in Michigan City, Indiana?
It can be time consuming to re-learn Google Analytics. Are you looking to partner with the top-rated SEM agency in Michigan city, Indiana that can assist you with all things related to your Google Analytics data? If so, look no farther than the team at Digital Destination. Our SEM experts can help you get your analytics configuration back in operation in a way that will benefit your business. To get in touch with us, fill out this form or give us a call at (312) 933-6806 today.